How To Throw A Healthy Cocktail Party
Who doesn’t love a good party? With summer just around the corner, cocktail parties are the talk of many social circles. But some of us worry about ruining our diets with all the rich foods and tasty drinks. The calorie count and sugar content make many of us shy away from cocktail parties. However, it doesn’t have to be that way. We’ve put together our best tips and menu items for planning a healthy cocktail party that will allow your guests, and you, to leave your diet worries at the door!
Mini, Popper, and Portioned Snacks and Appetizers
When planning the menu for your cocktail party, keep low-cal at the front of your mind. While you can’t plan for each individual guest’s health goals, you can keep your menu as high in health, and flavor as possible. These little mini and finger foods we found will help create a menu that pleases everyone’s palate and diet:
- Fruit and Low-Fat-Yogurt Parfaits. These are so simple and quick to make, and they look beautiful at any party. Best of all, you can serve them in small, clear tumblers to adhere to your cocktail party theme! Simply layer your favorite fruits, low fat yogurt, and granola or rolled oats, in the glasses, and presto! Lovely, healthy treats your guests will love!
- Cucumber Cups. These are used for many recipes. Cut up some cucumber, hollow out the pieces, and fill with smoked salmon, crab or shrimp salad, hummus, or any other low-fat filling that appeals to you and your guests. You can’t go wrong with cucumber cups!
- Smoked Salmon Deviled Eggs. Deviled eggs are often a party favorite because they’re easy and versatile, and you can make them with the healthiest part of the eggs! Using the smoked salmon for your filling is a low-cal alternative to the traditional yolk-and-mayo filling variations. You can even prepare the eggs and the filling a couple of days before the party, and then fill the eggs just before serving time.
- Angel Food Cupcakes. These treats are a heavenly 60 calories! Just mix up your favorite brand of Angel food cake, pour it into mini cupcake pans, and bake. Add whipped cream (instead of the sugary cake frosting), and top with slices of strawberries, or any fruit of your choice.
- Veggie Tray with Low-Fat Dip. You can buy pre-made vegetable trays at a supermarket. Or, you can slice up your own assortment of veggies, arrange them on a platter, and serve them with some low-fat dressing, avocado, or hummus dip.
- Bite-Sized Fruit Treats. The fruit variation to the veggie tray. Slice up a variety of fruits, and serve them with a low-calorie cream or cottage cheese dip. They make a delicious, low-fat and naturally sweet snack.
Related: 14 Meals in a Muffin Tin
Cocktails Sans the Guilt
Now that you have a healthy, tasty menu chosen, it’s time to consider your drinks. Those are, after all, the pinnacle of any cocktail party. Selecting drinks that aren’t sky high in sugar content can be a challenge, but we found a few that skimp on calories, without compromising flavor.
- Fireworks Fizz. Mix 1 ½ ounces of Skinnygirl White Cherry Vodka (or any flavor you prefer), six ounces of sparkling water, and a hint of natural pomegranate juice. The flavor pops, but your health goals do not!
- Coconut Fizz. A delicious, 133 calorie drink with the sweetness of bananas. All you need is two ounces of Malibu rum, one ounce of pineapple juice, and some club soda. Mix in your cocktail glasses, and serve!
- Pineapple Moscow Mule. Get ready for a tropical spin on the classic “mule” with this Pineapple Mule. Pour 2 ounces of vodka, 2 ounces of ginger beer and 2 ounces of pineapple juice into a Knooop Copper Cup; add a and add a squeeze of lime!
- Tequila and Soda. This drink is a low-sugar alternative to the ever-popular margarita. Just pour a little tequila over ice and mix in some club soda. Add some a squeeze of lime and grapefruit, and enjoy the refreshment!
Click below to download our free cocktail recipe book with the above recipes and more including Kombucha Sangria, a Skinny Mint Julep, Basil Vodka Lemonade and a Peach Mint Mojito. You don’t want to miss these.
Copper Mugs: Stylish AND Healthy?
In what do you serve all these wonderful cocktails? We think we have a healthy solution for that, too! The answer: copper mugs! Moscow Mule mugs are made from pure copper. They are very stylish, inexpensive, and just as the copper mineral, are believed to have some health-beneficial properties.
Copper has natural antioxidants, like certain fruits and vegetables. It can neutralize stomach acid and have a positive impact on digestion. The mineral also elevates the absorption of iron, which combats anemic symptoms. Copper is believed to protect your thyroid and heart health, as well! So, consider using some copper, Moscow Mule mugs for your drinks for the added touch of class and health promotion to your well-planned, healthy cocktail party.