Bacon Stuffed Cherry Tomatoes
These one bite tomatoes are stuffed with a creamy bacon filling that is made from turkey bacon. Like a little bite of creamy BLT bite! I use turkey bacon to dramatically cut down on calories and saturated fat. Each 80 calorie serving includes 4 generous pieces. Turkey Bacon can make a great substitution for regular bacon in a recipe such as this one. It is very important that you check nutritional labels, as some turkey bacon can be nearly as high in fat as the regular stuff! I know that Butterball is a very good choice with only 2.5 grams of fat per 2 slices.
-From the Kitchen of Chris Freytag:
Ingredients you will need:
- 12 slices turkey bacon
- 1/2 cup fat-free sour cream
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 2 tablespoons minced red bell pepper
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon honey
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 pints cherry tomatoes
1. Place turkey bacon is a skillet over medium-high heat and cook until thoroughly browned on both sides. Transfer browned bacon to a cutting board and let cool before finely dicing.
2. In a mixing bowl, combine sour cream, turkey bacon, green onions.red bell pepper, Dijon mustard, honey, salt, and pepper, and fold all together to create the bacon filling.
3. Slice tops off cherry tomatoes and use a melon baller or grapefruit spoon to scoop out the seeds and membranes of each.
4. Fill each tomato with an equal amount of the bacon filling and serve at room temperature or chilled.
Prep Time: 25 minutes Cook Time: 5 minutes Serves: 6 Calories: 80 Fat: 1.5 g Protein: 8 g Carbs: 8g Fiber: 1.5g