Recipe: Better For You French Toast
This better for you French toast recipe is light, fluffy, and the perfect high protein breakfast! This is a weekend favorite at my house. My recipe uses only the egg whites and then tops the finished toast with yogurt and fruit for a healthy breakfast with a huge amount of flavor. It is very simple to make and you can use any type of toast to your liking-oat, gluten-free, whole wheat, etc!
Total Time: 30 minutes
Yield: 2 serving(s)
- 3 large egg whites
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- nonstick cooking spray
- 4 slices whole wheat bread
- 1/2 cup nonfat Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons light agave nectar (may use honey)
- 1 cup blueberries (mixed berries)
- In a mixing bowl, beat together egg whites, water, vanilla extract, and cinnamon.
- Spray a large skillet or griddle with nonstick cooking spray and place over medium heat.
- Dip one slice of bread at a time into the egg mixture, coating both sides. Add the coated bread to the pan, cooking 2 at a time or all 4 if they will fit.
- Cook until the bread is golden brown on the bottom and then flip to cook the other side.
- Meanwhile, combine yogurt and agave nectar to make a yogurt topping.
- Serve 2 slices of French toast on each plate, topped with 1/2 of the yogurt topping and 1/2 of the blueberries.
Nutrition Information Per Serving
Serving Size: 2 slices
Protein: 19 gram(s)
Fat: 4 gram(s)
Carbohydrates: 64 gram(s)
Fiber: 6 gram(s)
From the kitchen of: Get Healthy U