Recipe: Cashew Pesto with Zucchini Noodles
This cashew pesto served on a bed of zucchini noodles is as creamy and delicious as traditional pesto, but BETTER! I used raw cashews in this recipe and they create a very decadent sauce. The fresh basil and lemon really pair well with the cooked zucchini noodles, and this is a great vegetarian dish to serve or bring to a party. This recipe is easy as pie if you have a food processor or blender that will chop nuts well. Raw nuts are a great source of good heart healthy fats and protein.
Total Time:50 minutes
Yield: 2 serving(s)
- 4 zucchini peeled
- 2 red peppers whole
- 1 cup water
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ½ cup raw cashews
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 cup fresh basil
- 3 tbsp Parmesan cheese
- ½ lemon juiced
- ¼ tsp rosemary
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
- Heat oven to 500 degrees and place 2 red peppers on a cookie sheet, roast for approx 40 minutes until skin is blackened and peeling off, then let peppers cool before peeling and seeding.
- While peppers are roasting prep all other ingredients and spiralize your zucchini. I use blade 1 my shredder blade.
- In a mixer or blender add 1/2 cup water(reserving 1/2), cashews, basil, garlic, Parmesan cheese, lemon juice, 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper, and rosemary. Blend until the mixture is creamy smooth. Add more water if needed.
- Once peppers have cooked and cooled enough so you can touch them, peel the skin off, remove core & seeds. Then slice into large strips and set aside. (you can keep these roasted peppers in olive oil in the fridge for up to 2 weeks)
- Then heat a large skillet with 2 tbsp olive oil, add zucchini, and the other 1/2 cup water with salt and pepper and cook for approx 5-7 minutes until zucchini is cooked yet still firm.
- Plate zucchini noodles and top with cashew pesto sauce then top with roasted red peppers.
- Garnish with extra basil or Parmesan if you like.
Nutrition Information Per Serving
Serving Size: 2
358 calories, 17 grams of fat, 19 grams of protein, 44 carbs, 13 grams fiber
*I use the Paderno Spiral Vegetable Slicer!
From the kitchen of: Get Healthy U