Recipe: Cabbage Roll Soup
This healthy recipe for cabbage roll soup is out of this world! Traditional cabbage rolls are a delicious polish hotdish that has comfort food written all over them! I make cabbage rolls for my husband on a special occasion because they are a time-consuming dinner to make. Making them from scratch plus stuffing the cabbage, I’m looking at more than an hour of prep time.
Enter this cabbage roll soup! It has everything yummy that a cabbage roll contains but it’s so much faster to make! This soup is hearty and delicious and I love that it’s loaded with protein and vegetables and tastes incredible.
It freezes well and easy to double the recipe if you’re in meal-prep mode.
How to Chop Cabbage For Cabbage Roll Soup
Cabbage is certainly the star of this soup. I love cabbage not just for its flavor but for all its nutritious value and many health benefits!
You can easily chop cabbage for this soup with a knife but I usually use a mandolin.
Make sure you cut the center out of the head of cabbage and just use the leaves.
How to Make Cabbage Roll Soup
Add ground beef* to the dutch oven and cook until no longer pink. Remove from pan and drain the grease.
*feel free to substitute the ground beef for another ground meat like turkey or ground pork. just keep in mind that will change the calories in the soup.
Heat olive oil and add onions and mushrooms to the dutch oven and cook until softened.
Add garlic and cook for another minute on medium-low heat.
Sprinkle a tablespoon of flour (or GF flour) and cook for one minute, stirring continually.
Add milk and whisk quickly.
Add broth, tomatoes, cut cabbage, and herbs. Stir and let simmer on low for 30 minutes or until cabbage is tender.
Add cooked rice and cooked ground beef. Let cook another 10 minutes.
Serve and enjoy!
More Healthy Soup Recipes To Try
Total Time: 55 minutes
Yield: 9 serving(s)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup chopped onioon
- 1/2 cup chopped mushrooms
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup milk (of your choice)
- 2 cans of diced tomatoes
- 1 cup of cooked white rice
- 5 cups beef broth, low sodium
- 1 large cabbage, sliced
- 1 tablespoon of flour (or GF flour)
- 2 peeled carrots. Chopped small.
- Add ground beef to the dutch oven and cook until no longer pink. Remove from pan and drain the grease.
- Heat olive oil and add onions, carrots and mushrooms to the dutch oven and cook until softened.
- Add garlic and cook for another minute on medium-low heat.
- Sprinkle a tablespoon of flour (or GF flour) and cook for one minute, stirring continually.
- Add milk and whisk quickly.
- Add broth, tomatoes, cut cabbage, and herbs. Stir and let simmer on low for 30 minutes or until cabbage is tender.
- Add cooked rice and cooked ground beef. Let cook another 10 minutes.
Nutrition Information Per Serving
Serving Size: 1 1/2 cups
Recipe Cuisine: American
From the kitchen of: Get Healthy U