Recipe: Hearty Lentil Ham & Vegetable Soup
Lentils don’t get enough love! These tasty legumes are high in protein, fiber, and have tons of vitamins! I love lentil soup it’s so thick and rich. This hearty lentil ham and vegetable soup recipe is especially tasty and easily made vegetarian my omitting the ham. A healthy recipe idea for leftover ham, or a ham steak works very well in this soup too. The leeks, kale, and fresh thyme work really well together and create a very rich flavor. It’s a great way to sneak in extra veggies too. I will often use dried spices vs. fresh out of convenience, but the fresh thyme in this recipe really makes a difference!
Total Time:65 minutes
Yield: 6 serving(s)
- 1 1/4 dry green lentils, rinsed
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 yellow onions, diced
- 2 leeks, washed and sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 stalks celery, diced
- 4 carrots, sliced
- 1 small can tomato paste
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups kale, washed and chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups chopped ham (leftovers are great or use a ham steak)
- Add the olive oil to a large stock pot and cook the onions, garlic, leeks, celery, and carrots cook approx. 5 minutes or until veggies are partially cooked but not soft.
- Add in chicken broth tomato paste, and bring to a boil.
- Add in ham, kale, bay leaves, fresh thyme (fresh really is best), crushed red pepper, salt and black pepper and stir. Then cover and let simmer approx. 40 minutes until lentils are cooked.
Nutrition Information Per Serving
Serving Size: 6
Protein: 21 gram(s)
Fat: 8 gram(s)
Carbohydrates: 37 gram(s)
Fiber: 15 gram(s)
From the kitchen of: Get Healthy U