Recipe: Crunchy Detox Kale Salad
Lunch Recipes, Salad Recipes, Vegetarian Recipes
This crunchy detox kale salad is one of our go-to’s. It’s simple enough for a healthy side dish at dinner, but delicious enough to make for a packed work lunch. This delicious vegan and gluten-free salad is the perfect crunchy salad that tastes so refreshing. This detox salad recipe will keep you feeling energized, light, and healthy all year round.
We tend to eat this salad most often in the fall and winter months but really can be made at any time. Feel free to substitute seasonal ingredients in and out as you see fit!
Let’s Talk Detox
Did you know that your body already comes with several built-in detoxification systems? That’s right—your colon, liver, kidneys, lungs, and skin to name a few all work to naturally eliminate toxins and keep things functioning properly every day. But there are foods that can help with the detoxification process. In this detox salad, we chose several detoxifying ingredients to assist your body’s natural process.
- Kale: the base of this salad is a detox powerhouse boasting one of the highest antioxidant levels of any vegetable making it great for detoxing the liver and reducing inflammation
- Carrots: great for stripping the liver of fats
- Lemon: the atomic structure is similar to your stomach’s digestive juices, which causes the liver to produce bile which helps keep food moving through your body
- Pomegranate Seeds: methionine and glycine betaine found in pomegranate are powerful fighting factors to clean your body’s system
- Green apple: due to the high fiber content, apples can assist your body’s detoxifying process
- Cilantro: cilantro leaves have potent antifungal, anti-inflammatory, antiseptic, and antimicrobial properties that bind to heavy metals
- Garlic: rich in organo-sulfur compounds (OSCs) supplementing the detox process
- Red/Green Onion: improves the elimination of toxins
Let’s Talk Crunch
We love a crunchy salad around here – the texture and just the satisfying feeling of knowing you’re eating something that is so good for your body. Plus, have you ever noticed that you have to eat salads slower due to all the chewing? That’s actually a very good thing and can help you recognize when you feel full earlier.
This crunchy salad gets its crunch from apples, carrots, kale, and almonds! Yum!
More Healthy Salads You’ll Love
Total Time: 10 minutes
Yield: 4 serving(s)
- For the salad
- 6 cups kale, chopped
- 1 green apple, chopped
- 1 cup shaved (or shredded) carrots
- 1/4 cup red or green onion, diced
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1/4 cup sliced or slivered almonds
- 1 avocado, diced
- Optional: Mango or other seasonal fruit
- For the Vinaigrette
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, grated
- 1 teaspoon honey (if desired for sweetness)
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- Combine vinaigrette ingredients in a jar with lid and shake. Set aside if using right away or refrigerate if making ahead.
- Toss kale in a large bowl and add half of your dressing. Massage with clean hands or tongs and let sit for 10-15 minutes.
- Add chopped veggies, additional dressing to taste, pomegranate seeds, other optional seasonal fruit, almonds and toss.
Nutrition Information Per Serving
Protein: 9 gram(s)
Fat: 28 gram(s)
Carbohydrates: 25 gram(s)
Fiber: 10 gram(s)
Sugar: 10 gram(s)
Sodium: 47 milligram(s)
From the kitchen of: Get Healthy U
Charles on January 14, 2020 at 8:39 AM
Made this yesterday. Yeah a little too lemony for winter but was great!