Recipe: Meatless Spicy Black Bean Burgers
Try these meatless spicy black bean burgers at your next barbecue! This recipe makes 4. We have beef burgers often at our house… but my vegetarian daughter and myself opt for these. Got extras? Throw them in the fridge and crumble in your omelet or salad the next day! The pepper jacks cheese in these black bean burgers adds nice kick & texture but if you want, skip the cheese and you’ll lower the calories. I don’t have to tell you that black beans are a great source of fiber that aids in digestion. Cook in a pan or on the grill – either way works!! Enjoy!
Total Time:35 minutes
- 1 (15oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup whole wheat breadcrumbs
- 1 large egg white
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded pepper-jack cheese *optional
- nonstick cooking spray or coconut oil
- 4 whole wheat buns toasted
- avocado, peeled and sliced *optional
- In the bowl of a food processor, combine the black beans, breadcrumbs, egg white, garlic, red onion, cilantro, chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper. Pulse until mixture is well combined and beans are finely chopped but not entirely smooth.
- Fold pepper-jack cheese into the blended bean mixture.
- Form the bean and cheese into 4 equal patties.
- Spray a large nonstick skillet with non stick cooking spray and place over medium heat. Cook for approx. 3-5 minutes on each side until cooked throughout. (Or cook them on the grill.)
- Place cooked black bean burgers on toasted buns and top with tomatoes and sliced avocado before serving.
Nutrition Information Per Serving
Serving Size: 4
332 calories, 18 grams protein, 8 grams fat, 49 grams carbs, 13 grams fiber, 7 grams sugar
*Calories are reduced if you leave off cheese and avocado.
From the kitchen of: Get Healthy U