Recipe: Mini Shepherd’s Pies
Traditional Shepherd’s Pie is always good, but this twist using seasoned ground turkey, assorted veggies, and puff pastry as a shell is an amazing healthy recipe. These individual Shepherd’s Pies are adorable and delicious! A handheld meal or appetizer recipe everyone will rave about. In this recipe, I mashed my own “New Jersey” Sweet Potatoes (white sweet potatoes), but if you are in a rush, you could buy pre-made mashed potatoes and cut down on prep time even more.
Total Time: 80 minutes
Yield: 9 serving(s)
- 2 sheets of puffed pastry dough thawed
- 3 Baked sweet potatoes (I used New Jersey sweet potatoes, they are white) You could use pre-made mashed too.
- 1/2 packet dry onion soup mix
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 12 oz's of frozen mixed vegetables I use carrots, green beans, peas, & corn.
- 3 dashes worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 5 tbsp grated (not powdered) parmesan cheese
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive
- 1 egg beaten with 2 tbsp water (egg wash)
- 1/4 tsp thyme (fresh if you have it)
- Heat oven to 400 degrees. Poke holes in sweet potatoes, wrap potatoes in tin foil, and bake for 50-60 min's or until fork tender.
- In medium sized heat extra virgin olive oil and brown ground turkey, drain turkey in a strainer then add in 1/2 packet of dry onion soup mix, 1/4 tsp black pepper, 1/2 tsp garlic powder, 1/4 tsp thyme, and 3 dashes worcestershire sauce to ground meat and mix well.
- In a separate small pot heat frozen vegetables according to directions, and drain any excess liquid in a strainer. Then add in 1/2 tsp salt to vegetable mix.
- Cut 2 puffed pastry sheets into 9 squares, 3 rows across, and 3 rows down. You will have 18 squares total.
- When sweet potatoes are done, peel, and mash up well in a bowl. I used a hand potato masher, but you could use a mixer. Add in 5 tbsp of grated parmesan cheese to mashed sweet potatoes.
- Set up a meat, veggies, potato station and fill your pies. I did 1 tbsp seasoned ground turkey mix, 1/2 tbsp vegetables, and 1/2 tbsp mashed sweet potatoes.
- Brush the puffed pastry edges with the beaten egg wash, and bake for 16-20 minutes until golden brown. In my oven 16 minutes was perfect!
- Garnish with a sprinkle of paprika if you like. Cool about 3 minutes then remove from muffin tin to serving plate.
Nutrition Information Per Serving
Serving Size: Makes 18 mini-pies
2 mini-pies | 375 calories, 12 grams protein, 20 grams fat, 37 grams carbs, 3 grams fiber, 5 grams sugar