Recipe: Pumpkin Black Bean Soup
This healthy pumpkin black bean soup has a chili like flavor, but is a tad sweeter. Filled with tons of flavor from the veggies and beans you won’t miss the meat at all. This vegetarian soup is an easy meal, and great way to sneak in all kinds of veggies into your families diet. This is a simple recipe and freezes well so make a double batch and freeze for another night!
Total Time:45 minutes
Yield: 8 serving(s)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 3/4 cup diced carrots
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup red wine (any)
- 3 (15 ounce) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 4 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat
- Add onion, celery, and carrots to the hot pan and cook until vegetables have softened. Add garlic and cook an additional minute.
- Pour red wine over vegetables in the pot and let simmer until the wine has reduced by about half.
- Add all remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and let simmer 25 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve hot. For a smoother consistency puree the finished soup using a hand held blender or cool slightly before transferring to a regular blender in small batches. Return to the heat and bring back up to a simmer before serving. Garnish with fresh peppers, green onion, or cilantro.
Nutrition Information Per Serving
Protein: 10 gram(s)
Fat: 5 gram(s)
Carbohydrates: 42 gram(s)
Fiber: 11 gram(s)
From the kitchen of: Get Healthy U