Recipe: Vegetarian Baguette Sandwich
Very Veggie Baguette plant based sandwich
Vegetarian Baguette Recipe
With fresh veggies, feta cheese, and chopped walnuts piled high on a crusty whole grain baguette this vegetarian sandwich recipe is divine!
I slather mine with stone ground mustard making a delicious and unique combination of fresh flavors. This simple recipe is fast and easy to throw together when you’re short on time.
I like adding walnuts on top because they have a rich nutty flavor, and are an excellent source of omega-3 essential fatty acids, which are a special type of protective fat that the body can’t make on its own.
Great for your health and a super tasty vegetarian baguette sandwich that is perfect to pack for a picnic!
Why is a vegetarian baguette such a good idea?
- Vegetarian food usually doesn’t contain the proteins that other sandwiches do like beef or turkey which is great for plant-based, vegans, and vegetarians.
- A vegetarian baguette may be more cost effective if you’re on a budget since it’s often cheaper to buy vegetables than meat.
- A vegetarian baguette may be a smarter lunch option for you if you’re trying to watch your weight or are on a diet, since it’s lower in calories and fat than other sandwiches.
- A vegetarian sandwich with feta cheese will keep you satisfied, as cheese has fat, a healthy dose of calcium, and protein.
- A vegetarian sandwich with chopped walnuts will keep you fuller longer, since it has a good dose of Omega-3’s.
- The ingredients are also rich in fiber, which is important for digestion and weight management.
Total Time: 15 minutes
Yield: 6 serving(s)
- 1 whole grain baguette
- 6 tablespoons stone ground mustard
- 1 cup fresh arugula (may use fresh baby spinach)
- 1 avocado, thinly sliced
- 1 cucumber, peeled and thinly sliced
- 4 ounces crumbled feta cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Slice baguette in half lengthwise, separating two long pieces.
- Place directly on oven rack and bake 5 minutes, just until lightly toasted.
- Carefully remove baguette halves from oven and spread both with mustard.
- Layer arugula, avocado, tomatoes, cucumber, feta cheese, and walnuts equally over the bottom half of the baguette.
- Cover bottom of baguette with the top half and cut into 6 equal sandwiches before serving.
Nutrition Information Per Serving
Protein: 7 gram(s)
Fat: 52 gram(s)
Carbohydrates: 11 gram(s)
Fiber: 4 gram(s)
From the kitchen of: Chris Freytag