Recipe: BBQ Prosciutto Wrapped Shrimp & Polenta
Move over shrimp and grits! These BBQ prosciutto wrapped shrimp are unbelievable. The prosciutto and BBQ sauce caramelize a bit giving a sweet and sassy taste to the shrimp. I use a bit of jalapeño in the polenta too that adds a nice mild bite to this dish. Polenta is made from corn meal and has a creamy texture similar to grits. I buy the pre-cooked because it turns out perfect and reduces cooking time. Get ready to impress your dinner guests when they see and taste this healthy dish.
Total Time:40 minutes
Yield: 4 serving(s)
- 8 tablespoons BBQ sauce store bought or try this homemade recipe: http://gethealthyu.com/portfolio/sweet-and-sassy-reduced-sugar-bbq-sauce/
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 spray of non-stick cooking spray
- 16 large shrimp shelled and deveined
- 8 pieces of prosciutto
- 1 lb of pre-cooked Polenta in the tube. I use Trader Joe's Brand.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 green onions diced
- 1/2 jalapeño seeded and diced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Mix together BBQ sauce, O.J. ,cayenne pepper, brown sugar, and 1 tablespoon olive oil in a mixing bowl.
- Cut prosciutto pieces in half lengthwise and then fold over lengthwise so it forms a thin long strip.
- Wrap cooked shrimp in prosciutto and set on a baking sheet. Lather the tops of shrimp with half of BBQ sauce, and place in the oven for 5 minutes.
- While the shrimp are cooking begin to heat the pre-cooked polenta. Place polenta, butter, milk, onions, jalapeño, salt, & pepper in a pan. Heat on medium breaking up the polenta until it becomes a nice creamy mixture then turn down to low to keep it warm. If need be you can add more milk or water until you reach the desired consistency.
- When shrimp have cooked 5 minutes on 1 side, flip the shrimp, coat with remaining BBQ sauce mixture and continue to cook 5 minutes on the other side.
- Plate 1/2 cup of polenta, and top with 4 BBQ prosciutto wrapped shrimp.
Nutrition Information Per Serving
Serving Size: 1/2 cup polenta and 4 shrimp
Protein: 12 gram(s)
Fat: 50 gram(s)
Carbohydrates: 82 gram(s)
From the kitchen of: Get Healthy U