Recipe: Beef and Barley Soup
Soup is one of my favorites meals on a chilly day! As they say it’s, “food for the soul.” My family loves beef barley soup so I came up with this healthy recipe packed with healthy veggies that everyone will enjoy. I even snuck in 2 cups of kale, but no one complains. The barley adds a nice texture and is full of fiber so you can definitely serve this as a complete meal. This recipe freezes very well, so make extra for a night when you don’t feel like cooking.
Total Time: 65 minutes
Yield: 6 serving(s)
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 6 cups (2 containers) beef broth
- 2 teaspoon thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 lb cubed lean beef or stew meat
- 2 tablespoons garlic minced
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 4 carrots sliced
- 3 stalks celery sliced
- 2 cups kale chopped
- 3/4 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup barley rinsed off and strained
- Wash and prep all veggies and ingredients.
- Heat a large pot or dutch oven with 2 tablespoons olive oil, add in stew meat and salt & pepper. Cook until browned then remove meat setting aside for later, but keep the oil remaining in the pot to cook the veggies in.
- Add in garlic, onion, carrots, celery, thyme, crushed red pepper, and bay leaves cook 3-5 minutes until veggies are cooked yet crisp. Add in kale and mushrooms cooking all the veggies another 2-3 minutes.
- Add 6 cups of beef broth to the veggies and bring to a boil. Once boiling add in the frozen peas and barley and boil 2 minutes then reduce heat to a simmer.
- Add the stew meat back to the soup and cover with a lid. Let the soup simmer 40 minutes before serving.
- Remove the bay leaves from the pot. Garnish with parsley or shredded Parmesan cheese.You may need additional salt and pepper to taste.
Nutrition Information Per Serving
Protein: 23 gram(s)
Fat: 10 gram(s)
Carbohydrates: 38 gram(s)
Fiber: 10 gram(s)
From the kitchen of: Team Get Healthy U