Recipe: Beet Burgers with Chipotle Aioli
Beet burgers have become one of my favorite healthy obsessions. I consider myself to be a somewhat of an “expert” since I have tried and tasted so many. I mixed and matched several recipes and came up with this version that has a Mexican twist to it! Filled with fresh tasty ingredients, this healthy burger has great texture and flavor. Sometimes, I double this recipe and keep the beet burgers in my freezer. They are easy to thaw and cook up for a quick meal later in the week! You will need a food processor or Cuisinart for this recipe. The chipotle aioli is really delicious and goes well with the seasoning used in the burgers. Honestly, I love this aioli variation made with Greek yogurt on lots of other things like raw veggies and sweet potato fries. So make double and save half to use as a dip later in the week! Don’t think of the beets from a can you had as a kid, these fresh beet burgers are hearty, nutty, and satisfying.
Total Time:65 minutes
Yield: 6 serving(s)
- 1 cup raw peeled and grated beets (aprox. 2 large beets peeled and grated with cheese grater)
- 3 tablespooons walnuts
- 4 large mushrooms, washed with stems trimmed
- 3/4 cup garbanzo beans
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 2 teaspoons Mexican seasoning (I use Frontier brand but you can use any. )
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 tablespoons red onion
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons coconut or olive oil
- Chipotle Aioli
- 3/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 3/4 cup light sour cream
- 1/2 (7.5 ounce) can of Chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- Add all ingredients for the beet burgers into a food processor and pulse or blend until everything is chopped well. Then, add in 1 egg and bread crumbs and mix once or twice until combined.
- Take beet burger mix and make into patties by hand. You may need to refrigerate 30 minutes if the mix is too soggy to work with. This recipe makes approximately 6 beet burgers.
- Stick patties in the freezer for 30 minutes, so they firm up.
- While patties chill, wash food processor then add in ingredients for Chipotle aioli, blend until mixed.
- Heat a non-stick skillet or frying pan with coconut or olive oil and cook beet burgers on low-medium heat 7-10 minutes per side until cooked.
- Serve on a toasted bun or bed of greens and top with your favorite fixings (goat cheese is a nice addition) then dress with Chipotle aioli sauce.
Nutrition Information Per Serving
Serving Size: 1 beet burger with 1 tablespoon Chipotle aioli
Protein: 8 gram(s)
Fat: 15 gram(s)
Carbohydrates: 19 gram(s)
Fiber: 4 gram(s)
Sugar: 4 gram(s)
From the kitchen of: Get Healthy U