Recipe: Black Bean and Quinoa Meatless Balls
Going meatless doesn’t mean you have to skimp on flavor. My family loves black bean burgers so I whipped up the base for my black bean burger recipe and created these Black Bean and Quinoa meatless balls. These little babies don’t last long, they are so delicious! I pan fry the balls in extra virgin olive oil and they get a nice brown crust on them like a meatball. These easy -to-make meatless balls have a nice kick from the jalapeño pepper but feel free to leave it out if you don’t like spicy foods. I serve these balls with an easy Greek Yogurt & mint dipping sauce, but you could use fresh salsa, sour cream, or any sauce of your choice.
Total Time: 25 minutes
Yield: 3 serving(s)
- 1 cup cooked quinoa (any variety follow the directions on the package)
- 1 cup black beans
- 1/2 green pepper
- 1/4 small red onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 jalapeño with seeds (leave out if you don't like spice)
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro or 1 tablespoon cilantro paste
- For Yogurt Dipping Sauce
- 1 small container plain Greek yogurt
- 5 fresh mint leaves minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Rince and cook 1/2 cup dry quinoa according to the directions on the package. It will yield 1 cup cooked quinoa.
- In food processor add green pepper, red onion, garlic, jalapeño, cilantro, and salt/pepper. Blend until all ingredients are chopped.
- Add in black beans, parmesan cheese, and pulse a few times to mix.
- Add in cracked egg, bread crumbs, and quinoa. Mix with a spoon or spatula.
- Add olive oil to pan and heat on medium. you can either spoon in balls, or make them with your hands. I think using the spoon is best.
- Fry approximately 8 minutes per side. You will need to turn the balls a few times so they brown all around.
- Add Yogurt dipping sauce ingredients in a small mixing bowl and serve on the side for dipping, or serve with fresh salsa or dipping sauce of your choice.
Nutrition Information Per Serving
serving size 3 balls, 322 calories, 14 grams protein, 12 grams of fat, 49 carbs, 8 grams fiber Greek Yogurt dipping sauce has 133 calories, 21 grams protein, 10 grams of carbs total. yields 4 servings, so 33 calories, 5 grams protein, 8 carbs per serving.