Recipe: Cabbage Rolls
Dinner Recipes, Poultry Recipes
The first time I had cabbage rolls I was so apprehensive, but they are truly delicious! This recipe comes from my friend’s grandmother and is very traditional. I have chosen to use ground turkey in my recipe and white rice. You can also sub ground beef, or brown rice if your prefer using those ingredients. They will still taste delicious! These look challenging to make, but really aren’t. This recipe is perfect! The sauce tastes fresh and slightly sweet and the cabbage filling comes out very moist. You can also add a teaspoon of sour cream as a garnish on each plate for an extra touch of creaminess. Cabbage is full of vitamins and antioxidants that our bodies need. This delicious dish is an easy way to enjoy it!
Total Time: 215 minutes
Yield: 5 serving(s)
- 1 head of green cabbage
- 3/4 cup white rice
- 1 large can of diced tomatoes
- 1 small can of tomatoe paste
- 1/2 medium sized white or yellow onion grated
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp worcesteshire sauce (optional)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 lb lean ground turkey
- 1 tbsp garlic
- Fill a large stock pot with water and begin to boil. Preheat your oven to 325 degrees. Take your head of cabbage and remove the stump or core with a knife. Usually about 4 inches of the core.
- Boil the head of cabbage core end up for about 15 minutes to loosen leaves so they will peel off. Once cooked let cool and then removed 12 cabbage leaves. Cut off any remaining stem from the leaf. Sometime you can use 2 leaves together for a roll if they aren't big enough.
- In a mixing bowl combine ground turkey, rice, eggs, onion, and worcesteshire sauce. Mix well with hands.
- Take a cabbage leaf and fill with approximately 2tbsp of meat mixture, and roll up tucking the ends under as much as possible. Place rolls in a 9 by 13 baking dish with lid.
- In a separate bowl mix diced tomatoes, tomato paste, garlic, brown sugar, salt and pepper.
- Cover the cabbage rolls with the tomato sauce mixture and cover with a lid.
- Bake cabbage rolls for 3 hours at 325 degrees or until tender.
Nutrition Information Per Serving
Protein: 20 gram(s)
Fat: 7 gram(s)
Carbohydrates: 27 gram(s)
Fiber: 4 gram(s)
From the kitchen of: Get Healthy U
Kelly Schimonitz on December 1, 2014 at 12:15 PM
Day 1.....done.... will feel thighs and arms tomorrow. ...I love how it actually hits major areas!