Recipe: Gluten-Free Chocolate Coconut Rice Crispy Bars
These healthier gluten-free chocolate coconut rice crispy bars are made with the nut butter of your choice and honey vs. the artificial colors, flavors and chemicals found in marshmallows. These sweet treats are loaded with protein and really satisfy the sweet tooth! They never last long in the GHU kitchen, but if covered should last up to 5 days in your refrigerator. You can leave out the coconut and chocolate chips if your prefer a more traditional rice crispy bar, but we like them loaded up with goodies. It goes without saying you should label these at a party and always be aware of nut allergies if you pack these in your kiddos lunch for school. Happy snacking!
Total Time: 65 minutes
Yield: 16 serving(s)
- 4 cups gluten-free rice cereal we used the Erewhon brand
- 3/4 cup creamy peanut butter, almond butter, or sunflower seed butter
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2 1/2 tablespoons unsweetened shredded coconut
- 3 tablespoons mini dark chocolate chips (you can use regular size, but minis are cuter)
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla
- Line a 9x9 inch pan with parchment paper.
- Add 4 cups of gluten-free rice cereal to a large mixing bowl.
- Add nut butter, honey, and vanilla to a sauce pan heating on low and stir gently until melted.
- Add melted nut butter/honey mixture to the rice cereal, add in coconut and stir quickly.
- Spoon the rice crispy mixture into the pan with the parchment paper. Sprinkle mini chocolate chips on top of the rice crispies, and press down firmly with the back side of a large spoon. (you have to press down very firmly or the crispies won't stick together.
- Place the pan of rice crispies in the refrigerator for 1 hour so they can firm up. Cut into even squares, and store in the refrigerator covered.
Nutrition Information Per Serving
Serving Size: 1 bar
Protein: 4 gram(s)
Fat: 8 gram(s)
Carbohydrates: 19 gram(s)
Fiber: 2 gram(s)
Sugar: 11 gram(s)
*We used Erewhon Honey Rice Twice Cereal: http://www.attunefoods.com/Erewhon-Organic-Cereals/erewhon-organic-rice-twice-cereal
From the kitchen of: Get Healthy U