Recipe: Golden Cauliflower with Sage
Cauliflower, like its close relative broccoli, is one of the healthiest foods on the planet. While it is high in fiber, vitamin C, antioxidants, and calcium, I think my favorite thing about cauliflower is how well it can absorb flavors like the sage in this dish. This recipe is a play on an Italian way of preparing ravioli; only instead, it is made into a side dish by substituting cauliflower in place of the ravioli. The cauliflower, sautéed in butter and sage, actually caramelizes and takes on a wonderful, almost nutty flavor. You can also make this dish with a mixture of regular and purple cauliflower for a really beautiful presentation.
Total Time:20 minutes
Yield: 4 serving(s)
- 1 head cauliflower
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup water
- 6 sage leaves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- Cut cauliflower into tiny florets, each about the size of a quarter, discarding the large stem.
- Heat butter and oil in a large skillet cover medium-high heat.
- Once the pan is hot, add cauliflower is well browned all the way around.
- Sauté, stirring occasionally until cauliflower is well browned all the way around.
- Stir water and sage into the pan and continue sautéing until water has almost completely evaporated.
- Stir in Parmesan cheese and garlic powder and remove pan from heat. Serve immediately.
From the kitchen of: Get Healthy U