Recipe: Healthy Eggplant Parmesan
We love eggplant parmesan, but the classic eggplant parm is fried and loaded with tons of fat and calories. This lightened up version uses panko bread crumbs and is baked in the oven to get that yummy crispy texture that everyone loves! This is a great meal for both vegetarians and meat lovers alike, so give this healthy recipe a try!
Total Time:35 minutes
Yield: 4 serving(s)
- 1 eggplant peeled and sliced into rounds
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat panko bread crumbs (you can use standard breadcrumbs if necessary)
- 1 large 26 ounce jar of spaghetti sauce
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon water
- 4 tablespoons parmesan cheese (get the good stuff if you can)
- 1/2 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese
- coconut oil or cooking spray for baking sheet
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 4-6 fresh basil leaves
- Spray or oil your baking sheet.
- Mix 2 lightly beaten eggs with 1 tablespoon water.
- Combine breadcrumbs with salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning.
- Dip each piece off eggplant in egg wash and roll into panko mix.
- Bake eggplant at 450 degrees for 15-20 minutes flipping over 1/2 way through cooking to make sure each side gets crispy.
- Remove eggplant from oven once cooked.
- In a baking dish spread a thin layer of spaghetti sauce on the bottom of the dish. Stack 1 piece of eggplant, 1 tablespoon shredded mozzarella, another piece of eggplant, 1 tablespoon spaghetti sauce, 1 tablespoon mozzarella, and sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon parmesan cheese, do this to create 4 stacks or portions of eggplant parmesan or more if you have enough ingredients (depends on the size of your eggplant).
- Bake at 450 degrees for 10 minutes or until cheese is bubbling, and garnish each eggplant parmesan with a leaf of basil.
- Serve with a large green salad and enjoy!
Nutrition Information Per Serving
Serving Size: 1 stack of eggplant parm (2 pieces of eggplant)
Protein: 17 gram(s)
Fat: 12 gram(s)
Carbohydrates: 36 gram(s)
Fiber: 7 gram(s)
Sugar: 14 gram(s)
From the kitchen of: Get Healthy U