Recipe: Pasta Fresca with Shrimp
Pasta is not a bad word. Yes pasta is high in carbohydrates, but carbs give you energy! This dish is light, fresh, and filled with delectable shrimp. The fresh veggies supply a rainbow of color and flavor and the garbanzo beans give a hearty texture. I use swiss chard in this dish as a green, but you can use kale too. Swiss chard is a nutritional powerhouse and delicious when cooked. It offers a nice acidic kick that balances the sweetness of the shrimp. We have a local restaurant that specializes in fresh Italian food that I love. I started to crave this dish at home so came up with my own version of it. I use fresh pasta whenever possible, but boxed works in a pinch.
Total Time: 30 minutes
Yield: 6 serving(s)
- 1 lb raw shrimp devined and peeled
- 1 can garbanzo beans or chick peas
- 1 head of swiss chard washed and stems removed, then cut into bite size pieces (kale works as a great substitute)
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 1 red bell pepper cleaned and sliced into stripes
- 1 yellow bell pepper cleaned and sliced into stripes
- 1-5 oz container of crumbled feta cheese
- 7 fresh basil leaves diced or 1 tbsp dried basil
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 fresh lemon juiced (reserve peel for zest)
- 1 tbsp lemon zest from peel
- 1/2 a red onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 lb cappellini pasta fresh or boxed
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Rinse, devine, and peel shrimp. Set aside.
- Bring a large stock pot of water to bowl with a pinch of salt.
- While water is heating wash and prep all the veggies so they are ready to go.
- Boil your noodles according to directions or label and rinse under water to stop boiling. Reserve 1 cup of pasta water and set aside.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in your pan and add swiss chard, tomatoes, peppers, garbanzo beans, basil, garlic, crushed red pepper, salt, and black pepper and cook 3 minutes on medium heat.
- Add in shrimp, red onion, lemon juice, pasta water, and pasta cooking all ingredients together until the shrimp is cooked approx 3-5 minutes. Plate and garnish with lemon zest and feta cheese.
Nutrition Information Per Serving
Serving Size: 6 servings
536 calories, 14 grams of fat, 33 grams protein, 74 carbs