Recipe: Pasta Rustico with Turkey Sausage
Try this light and healthy pasta rustico with turkey sausage – it’s so good and simple to make, you will have a pasta dish in no time! The sausage and veggies give this dish a zesty Italian flavor and great color. Red peppers are loaded with vitamins A & C and phytochemicals that can help protect cells from damage. This healthy pasta recipe is full of them along with whole wheat pasta which provides fiber and turkey sausage which provides protein. Go ahead and have a fun and healthy pasta meal night with the family!
Total Time:40 minutes
Yield: 8 serving(s)
- 1 pound whole wheat pasta
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound Italian turkey sausage links, sliced
- 1 red onion thinly sliced
- 2 red bell peppers, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 3 ounces fresh spinach leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook 8-10 minutes, just until al-dente. Save 3/4 cup of the pasta cooking water before draining.
- Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add sausage and cook until evenly browned and cooked throughout. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add onion, peppers, garlic and italian seasoning to the empty pan and cook until the onions are translucent, about 3-4 minutes.
- Return sausage to the pan and cook for 2-3 minutes, just until fully reheated throughout. Add spinach, salt, pepper and reserved pasta water to the pan and immediately remove from heat. Stir until all is combined.
- Serve the sausage mixture smothered over pasta and topped with the grated parmesan cheese.
Nutrition Information Per Serving
Protein: 20 gram(s)
Fat: 16 gram(s)
Carbohydrates: 53 gram(s)
Fiber: 7 gram(s)
From the kitchen of: Get Healthy U