Recipe: Skinny Gingerbread Cupcakes With Icing
Everyone loves gingerbread and holidays sweets! These skinny gingerbread cupcakes with cream cheese icing have all the flavors of the full fat recipes and weigh in at well under 300 calories. These cupcakes are the perfect size portion for a delicious holiday treat. The rich cream cheese icing cuts the calories and keeps that nice creamy texture that I love!
Total Time: 40 minutes
Yield: 12 serving(s)
- 1/3 cup sugar (or 1/4 cup if you're looking for less!)
- 1/4 cup butter (room temperature)
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 4 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup almond milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 12 cupcake papers
- For the Vanilla Icing
- 1/2 cup cream cheese
- 1.5 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees and line cupcake pan with 12 cupcake papers.
- Mix 1/3 cup sugar and 1/4 cup butter in a mixing bowl and beat with mixer on high for 3 minutes until blended.
- Add 1 egg and 1/4 cup molasses and beat again until mixed well.
- Add in flour, baking powder, ground ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla into the mixing bowl and stir well blending all the ingredients.
- Spoon batter into cupcake papers about 2/3 full and bake for approx 25 minutes or until you can stick a toothpick in the center of the cupcakes and it comes out clean. Take cupcakes out and let cool 20 minutes before frosting.
- For icing, add cream cheese, vanilla and salt to a medium mixing bowl and blend with mixer until ingredients are combined.
- Add in powdered sugar gradually with the mixer blending on low until icing is mixed.
- Once cupcakes have cooled use a spoon to ice the cupcakes.
Nutrition Information Per Serving
Serving Size: 1 cupcake
Protein: 3 gram(s)
Fat: 6 gram(s)
Carbohydrates: 33 gram(s)
Fiber: 4 gram(s)
Sugar: 19 gram(s)
*Nutrition information is based off of half the cream cheese frosting amount. There will be leftover frosting. We only used about half of it.
Kim on December 27, 2019 at 5:59 PM
Neither list directions have baking soda. Please let me know if recipe needs baking soda and how much. The recipe does list baking soda. Is it needed? Referring to comments above - a bit confused and want to make these as they sound yummy.
Chris Freytag on April 16, 2020 at 2:09 PM
Hi Kim - yes to baking powder as listed in ingredients and directions. No to baking soda. Sorry for the confusion!
Sandy on December 6, 2017 at 11:42 AM
Also in video you use 1/4 c sugar yet in recipe here you wrote 1/3 c ?
Chris Freytag on December 6, 2017 at 4:40 PM
You can do either! We've done both :) We do 1/4 when we're looking for less sugar but some people prefer 1/3 cup which makes them a bit sweeter.
Melissa on December 31, 2015 at 11:05 AM
Directions omit the baking soda that is in ingredients list! Good thing I looked at list.
Chris Freytag on January 7, 2016 at 4:05 PM
Thank you so much for letting us know Melissa! There is no baking soda, but we fixed the error on baking powder, and hope you enjoyed these skinny gingerbread cupcakes. They are a Team Get Healthy U favorite.
Sandy on December 6, 2017 at 11:40 AM
So don’t add baking Soda?
Chris Freytag on December 6, 2017 at 4:39 PM
Yes to baking powder not soda! The ingredient list and directions are correct :)