Recipe: Skinny Italian Stuffed Peppers
These Italian stuffed peppers are a delicious and as easy as 1, 2, 3! I filled these green peppers with ground turkey, quinoa, red sauce and Italian seasonings. I top the peppers with shredded mozzarella cheese the last 15 minutes of cooking and they come out smelling fantastic, and bubbling with cheese. This recipe serves 5, and yes you can eat the roasted pepper too!
Total Time: 50 minutes
Yield: 5 serving(s)
- 2 cups of your favorite Spaghetti sauce
- 1 lb lean ground turkey
- 1 cup of cooked quinoa (cook according to the direction on the package)
- 1/2 can diced tomatoes in Italian seasoning
- 1/4 a yellow onion chopped fine
- 5 green peppers stems removed and seeded, and tops cut off ready to stuff
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 10 tbsp shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 5 basil leaves (for garnish)
- Preheat oven to 350, then Brown 1 lb lean ground turkey in 1 tbsp olive oil, then drain any excess fat or oil.
- Take a fork and poke a few holes in the bottom of the green peppers, and set in a baking dish.
- Combine these ingredients in a large mixing bowl: turkey, 1 cup cooked quinoa, 1/4 of a chopped onion, 2 cups spaghetti sauce, salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning.
- Stuff each pepper with the turkey quinoa mixture to the top.
- Bake the peppers at 350 for 20 minutes, then top each pepper with 2 tbsp of shredded mozzarella cheese and a basil leaf for garnish, then bake another 15 minutes until cheese is bubbly.
Nutrition Information Per Serving
Serving Size: 5
serving size 1 stuffed pepper, 452 calories, 16 grams of fat, 32 grams of protein, 9 grams of fiber, 51 carbs, 20 grams of sugar