Recipe: Skinny Vegetable Medley Soup
This is a GHU team members family recipe. Her mother always made this vegetable soup when she wanted to get back on track with clean eating and exercise. This healthy vegetable soup is packed with protein, fiber and tons of vitamins. Despite the name, this doesn’t taste like a “diet” recipe, this healthy dish is so delicious and so filling you won’t believe it has under 200 calories and is packed with 11 grams of protein per serving. This tasty recipe has almost every vegetable under the sun, and you can add in any veggies we left out. Easily made vegetarian by omitting the turkey and sausage, this versatile soup pleases even the pickiest of palates.
Total Time:70 minutes
Yield: 10 serving(s)
- 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 head of cabbage, cored and chopped
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 cups carrots. chopped
- 2 cups celery, chopped
- 2 cups fresh green beans, cut into bite size pieces
- 1 can of garbanzo beans
- 2 cans of diced tomatoes
- 1 quart of tomato juice we like the R.W. Knudsen Family brand
- 1/2 lb ground turkey, browned (optional)
- 1/2 lb ground mild Italian sausage, browned (optional)
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon black pepper or to taste
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil in a large stock pot and add all of the fresh veggies. Cook on med heat for 5-7 minutes until the veggies are lightly sautéed.
- While the veggies are cooking brown the turkey and pork (if using), then drain the grease, making sure both are fully cooked.
- Add the meat and the remaining ingredients into the stock pot, cook on med/low for 40 minutes so the favors can meld.
- If the soup is too thick for you, use water to thin.
Nutrition Information Per Serving
Serving Size: about 1 1/2 cups
Protein: 11 gram(s)
Fat: 9 gram(s)
Carbohydrates: 20 gram(s)
Fiber: 5 gram(s)
Sugar: 11 gram(s)
*You can easily make this recipe vegan or by omitting the meat and using vegetable stock.
From the kitchen of: Team Get Healthy U