Recipe: Split Pea Soup
This Split Pea Soup recipes is warm and delicious! Nothing better than a hot bowl this creamy soup on a cold day. Amazing how these simple ingredients come together to create such a rich flavor. I love the Canadian bacon in this recipe, it adds such a nice smokey flavor. This healthy recipe is dairy-free, gluten, free, and full of tastiness that will leave you satisfied! You may want to double this recipe and freeze half for a night when you don’t want to cook, it freezes very well!
Total Time: 90 minutes
Yield: 6 serving(s)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 4 cups water
- 5 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups dried split peas
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 6 ounces Canadian bacon, diced
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and celery to the hot pan and saute until vegetables have softened. Add garlic and saute 1 additional minute.
- Add all remaining ingredients, except Canadian bacon, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and let simmer 1 hour and 15 min.
- Puree the soup using a hand blender or cool slightly before transferring to a blender or food processor to blend in batches. Return soup to the stove.
- Add Canadian bacon to the soup and bring back up to a simmer before seasoning with salt and pepper to taste. Serve hot.
Nutrition Information Per Serving
Protein: 23 gram(s)
Fat: 4 gram(s)
Carbohydrates: 40 gram(s)
Fiber: 15 gram(s)
From the kitchen of: Team Get Healthy U