Recipe: Tuscan Tomato Soup
This is a creamy, rich, and hearty vegetarian soup that the entire family will enjoy. Inspired by a Barefoot Contessa recipe for creamy tomato soup that I “lightened up” and put my own twist on. I use whole vegetables and garbanzo beans will provide fiber and satisfy your hunger. I typically serve this soup with freshly baked whole grain bread, or a few toasted croutons. This soup is quite spicy, so be mindful to skip or reduce the crushed red pepper flakes if you don’t like spice!
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1.5 cups chopped red onion
- 2 large raw carrots minced (could use cuisenart or chopper)
- 3 cloves raw garlic minced
- 7 medium sized tomatoes chopped
- 2 cups raw kale chopped
- 1 can of garbanzo beans rinsed
- 10 basil leaves chopped fine
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary crushed
- 3 teaspoons salt, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 8 tablespoons heavy cream
- In a large stock pot heat olive oil on medium/high heat then add carrots, and onions cooking 10-12 minutes, add garlic and cook an additional 2 minutes.
- Add in tomatoes, sugar, chicken stock, tomato paste, crushed red pepper, rosemary, salt, black pepper, garbanzo beans, kale, and the majority of the chopped basil (reserve 2 tbsp basil for garnish).
- Bring all ingredients to a boil & then simmer uncovered for 40 minutes.
- Add in the cream as your last step and cook an additional 5 minutes on low.
- If the soup is to thick for your taste add in 1-2 cups water to thin out soup.
- Serve into soup bowl and garnish with basil.
Nutrition Information Per Serving
Protein: 5 gram(s)
Fat: 14 gram(s)
Carbohydrates: 22 gram(s)
Fiber: 5 gram(s)
Sugar: 7 gram(s)
Recipe Cuisine: American
From the kitchen of: Get Healthy U