Recipe: Very Veggie Lasagna
Don’t freak out and run away when I say this lasagna doesn’t have any meat. Because it doesn’t. But it does have tons of fresh veggies and zesty sauce layered with gooey cheese. Who doesn’t love that? This veggie lasagna is easy to make and tastes absolutely delicious even to the hungriest carnivore. You can sauté almost any veggie and add it to this lasagna. I have made my own red sauce in the past and while I feel very Martha Stewart-esque after, the truth is, the amazing cooks at Trader Joe’s make an excellent marinara sauce that doesn’t destroy my kitchen. This recipe serves 12 people and is the perfect choice for a cozy night in or a large gathering. Young and old will change there tune towards vegetarian dishes after a plate of this lasagna. So, have fun with this recipe and embrace new veggies!
Total Time:105 minutes
- 2 cloves garlic minced or 1 tbsp
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 1 container of fresh mushrooms washed, stems trimmed, and sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped carrots
- 2 cups or 2 summer squash peeled and sliced
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 package of uncooked lasagna noodles
- 2- 26 oz jars of your favorite marinara sauce
- 4 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- 1-10 oz container of frozen spinach thaw then squeeze out the remaining liquid and discard
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup minced fresh basil (reserve a few extra leaves for garnish) or 3 tbsp dried if necessary
- 1 container of skim milk ricotta cheese
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- Boil a large pot of water and cook your lasagna noodles according to the directions on the box. Make sure to run the cooked noodles under cool water to cool after cooking and set aside.
- In a large sauce pan heat the olive oil then sauté the garlic, onion, mushrooms, carrots, and summer squash all together. Add in 2 jars of marinara to the vegetable mixture.
- In a mixing bowl combine the ricotta cheese, 2 eggs, 2 cups of the mozzarella (reserving 2 for the topping), parmesan cheese, basil , spinach, salt, and pepper.
- Heat your oven to 350 degree.
- Using a 9x13 pan add a layer of the vegetable marinara sauce on the bottom, then a layer lasagna noodles, and then the layer of ricotta mixture. Repeat this layering process finishing with vegetable marinara on top then sprinkle with the remaining 2 cups of mozzarella cheese.
- Bake in oven at 350 degrees for 45-50 minutes and let rest 10 minutes outside the oven before cutting.
Nutrition Information Per Serving
Serving Size: 12 servings
459 calories per serving, 18 grams of fat, 22 grams of protein, 48 carbs.
From the kitchen of: Get Healthy U