Recipe: Greek Yogurt Frosting (No Butter or Refined Sugar!)
If you’re looking to make frosting healthier without sacrificing flavor, then this Greek yogurt frosting recipe is perfect for you!
This frosting is thick, creamy, and super delicious without any butter or sugar. It’s great on top of cupcakes, cakes, or even for dipping fruit.
The Ingredients You’ll Need
The Greek yogurt frosting recipe has only four ingredients and takes less than five minutes to make. So easy, right?
Here are the ingredients you will need:
- Greek yogurt: use plain full-fat Greek yogurt for the best results. We like Fage!
- Cream cheese: use regular cream cheese (not low-fat) to achieve a good consistency.
- Stevia (or powdered sugar): this 0-calorie natural sweetener keeps the refined sugar away. Add more or less to taste. We’ve also included an option to use powdered sugar.
- Vanilla extract: use good quality vanilla (or make your own) to add delicious flavor!
As you can see, there is no butter or sugar in this Greek yogurt frosting! The yogurt takes the place of butter or shortening found in traditional frosting recipes and also adds creaminess and texture. And stevia replaces refined sugar for a healthier sweet treat.
How To Make Greek Yogurt Frosting
This recipe could not be easier. Simply blend all of your ingredients together. If you like your frosting a little thinner, add some milk. If you like it thicker, put it in the refrigerator to set a bit more. Frost your cupcakes or cake and serve immediately!
How To Use Greek Yogurt Frosting
The below muffins and cupcakes are delicious when frosted with this Greek yogurt frosting!
- Gluten-Free Vanilla Cupcakes
- Healthy Carrot Cake Muffins
- 2-Ingredient Banana Muffins
- 2-Ingredient Pumpkin Muffins
- Healthy Chocolate Cupcakes
A Note on Consistency
Due to the addition of cream cheese, this Greek yogurt frosting turns out with a nice consistency, however, if you would rather omit the cream cheese, or use more Greek yogurt to cream cheese ratio, it’s a good idea to strain the Greek yogurt.
To strain Greek yogurt, simply place the yogurt in a cheesecloth. Then squeeze the cheesecloth multiple times to get any liquid/moisture out.
Total Time: 5 minutes
Yield: 12 serving(s)
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 cup cream cheese
- 1 tablespoon stevia (or 1/2 powdered sugar to taste)
- 1.5 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Blend all ingredients together until completely smooth.
- To thin frosting, add a bit of milk, to thicken frosting, refrigerate.
- Frost cake, cupcakes and more!
Nutrition Information Per Serving
Serving Size: 1 cupcake's worth of frosting
Protein: 3 gram(s)
Fat: 8 gram(s)
Carbohydrates: 2 gram(s)
Sugar: 1 gram(s)
*This frosting will keep for about 4 days in the refrigerator. Best to serve immediately after frosting.
From the kitchen of: Get Healthy U