Recipe: Southwestern Quinoa Salad
My southwestern quinoa salad is an excellent plant based source of protein! This zesty salad is full of fresh southwestern flavors and bright colors. Quinoa is a wonderful gluten-free grain like seed with a hearty texture that resembles rice. This quinoa salad is an easy vegetarian meal or side dish full of healthy ingredients that will impress your family and friends.
Total Time:20 minutes
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 cup dry quinoa (Look for a box that says the quinoa is pre-rinsed or simply let regular quinoa soak in water for 15 minutes, drain, and rinse before cooking)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- 1/2 cup loosely packed fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- Juice of 1 lime
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt to taste
- Place water, quinoa, and salt in a large sauce pan over high heat and bring to a boil.
- Cover and let boil 1 minute before reducing heat to low. Let simmer on low for 15 minutes. Prep other ingredients while quinoa is cooking.
- Remove quinoa from heat and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Fluff quinoa with a fork, and add all remaining ingredients stirring to combine.
- Season with salt to taste before serving warm, room temperature or chilled and enjoy!
Nutrition Information Per Serving
Protein: 9 gram(s)
Fat: 9 gram(s)
Carbohydrates: 34 gram(s)
Fiber: 7 gram(s)
From the kitchen of: Chris Freytag