Recipe: The Giant Frittata
Breakfast Recipes, Vegetarian Recipes
This giant frittata really earns its name! This is a perfect, fulfilling dish that allows you to feed the entire family a healthy breakfast with only one pan. I love the combo of these veggies, it makes it a perfect vegetarian friendly recipe! Parmesan Cheese is used in this frittata because its intense flavor allows you to use less cheese (which equals less calories and fat) than you would if using more mild choices like Cheddar or Monterey jack. The harder and more aged the Parmesan is, the more flavor it will pack, so grabbing a decent brand will definitely pay off.
Total Time: 27 minutes
Yield: 6 serving(s)
- 8 large egg whites
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup diced yellow onion
- 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup diced mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley
- Preheat broiler to high
- In a mixing bowl, beat egg whites until frothy. Stir in Parmesan cheese, baking powder, salt, and pepper
- Add olive oil to a large oven-safe skillet and place over medium-high heat.
- Place onions in the hot skillet and cook until they begin to turn translucent. Add peppers and cook for 2 minutes before adding mushrooms. Cook 2 additional minutes
- Pour egg mixture over vegetables in skillet and cook about 4 minutes or until the top is beginning to set.
- Place skillet into oven and broil for 3 minutes, just until the top begins to brown. Remove from oven, sprinkle with chopped parsley, and cut into 6 equal pieces to serve.
Nutrition Information Per Serving
Serving Size: 1 slice
Protein: 11 gram(s)
Fat: 10 gram(s)
Carbohydrates: 3 gram(s)
Fiber: 1 gram(s)
From the kitchen of: Get Healthy U
Laurie Franklin on October 19, 2014 at 8:21 AM