In a world where it’s hard to find time for a spa day, creating your own spa night at home is a great (and cheaper!) alternative.
You don’t have to go to a luxury spa to experience luxury treatments. As we age, it becomes even more essential to take care of our skin to look and feel our best. Because when we look well-rested, fresh-faced, and youthful, it can make us feel that way, too. When you’re stressed, in pain, or just need a break from the daily grind, it’s time for an at-home spa night!
Whether you use a facial roller and some scented candles or just go with the basics of a hot bath and oil diffuser, an at-home spa night has never been easier. Below, we discuss how to get started with an at-home spa night that will have you feeling relaxed and refreshed.
Facial rollers are part of the new at-home beauty routine. When beauty routines change drastically during the global pandemic, many turned to DIY products for self-care and to bring the serenity of the spa into the home, even if just for a few minutes. Using a facial roller is so easy, we think this beauty pick-me-up will stick around.
A facial roller is a unique kind of facial massager that works to improve blood circulation, reduce muscle tension in the face, and deliver nutrients deep into your skin.
Facial rollers are particularly useful for lymphatic drainage, minimizing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, alleviating discomfort from sinuses or allergies, reducing acne flare-ups, and speeding up post-workout recovery.
Plus, there are so many beautiful options to choose from: pick up a jade facial roller, rose quartz, or an ice roller feels fantastic after a sweaty HIIT workout.
To elevate your at-home spa night, try this vibrating facial roller. This rose quartz face roller also comes with an eye press.
How to use a facial roller
- To use a facial roller, we recommend you prep your skin by cleansing and prepping with a serum or light moisturizer.
- Then begin by lightly rolling from the center of your face outward. Focus on your forehead moving outward from eyebrows to the scalp.
- When facial rolling at the chin and jawline, roll gently toward your collarbone.
If you love facial rollers, you need to check out gua sha. Gua sha is a facial trend in the wellness world but the history of gua sha goes back centuries. It’s a technique where a person uses their hand or specially shaped stone to apply pressure and friction to the skin, causing it to change color in the process.
The application of gua sha causes blood flow to increase which aids circulation while removing toxins from the body through sweat glands on your face. Studies have shown that gua sha can be an effective treatment for arthritis.
How to get started with gua sha for your at-home spa night:
- Find a gua sha tool and a massage oil or lotion.
- You can use any sort of tool for this technique–from ancient Chinese kidney stones to modern plastic spoons.
- A traditional gua sha tool is made from smooth material like a walnut shell, granite, or marble.
- Next, gently rub your skin with the edge of the gua sha tool so that you’re pressing against different muscles. Another gua sha tip is to follow the grain of your muscles.
You’ll notice that when you run your fingers over the skin, it will feel more heated and rougher than normal. This is because blood flow has increased to this section of the body due to all that pressure!
Of course, you can never go wrong with a sheet mask for your spa night. A sheet mask is a pre-packaged cloth face mask that can be used as a treatment or just for relaxation.
Sheet masks are infused with a variety of substances ranging from antioxidants to vitamins and more, depending on what you need most! Popular sheet masks include the Dr Jart+ Cicapair Tiger Grass Aqua Splash Hydrating Mask (for hydration), or Peter Thomas Roth.
Sheet mask tips:
Try to find masks that are made from natural ingredients, which is especially important if you have sensitive skin.
The best sheet mask will usually be labeled for the specific type of problem it’s designed to address (e.g., acne or aging). Here are some other things I recommend as a rule:
- Look for sheet masks that have a cotton or silk fabric
- Avoid masks with added fragrance, especially if you have sensitive skin
- Masks that contain charcoal are great for oily skin and may be soothing to redness and inflammation
- Look for masks designed to hydrate the skin (e.g., by containing glycerin)
- A few of my favorite all-natural brands include:
- Laneige, which is well known for its soothing properties
- Etude House’s line of masks (I love their gold and pearl masks)
- Benton’s sheet masks, which are some of the least expensive on Amazon. I recommend “brightening” or “anti aging.”
- We love to store our sheet masks in the refrigerator for a cool refresher after a good workout.
At Home Red Light Therapy
Red light therapy is one of the hottest at home spa trends and we’re encouraged by the research. You may have seen red light therapy at a local med spa, but today you can buy red light masks, red light bulbs, and even red light panels to hang in your bathrooms.
Red light therapy research
Recent studies have shown red light therapy has been correlated with anti-aging. According to famed dermatologist, Dr. Dennis Gross, red light therapy works by triggering cells deep within to increase metabolic activity. This, in turn, leads to an uptick in collagen production. Collagen, of course, is what we all want for that plump, youthful appearance.
Red light therapy for weight loss
You might even be surprised to know that red light therapy has also been linked to weight loss. Red light therapy for weight loss has been studied and the results showed that study participants that incorporated red light therapy into a regimen were able to reduce their waist circumference.
So if you’re intrigued and ready to get started with at-home red light therapy – head to Amazon! Decide if you want to choose a bulb, face mask, or a LED red light panel. Be sure to read the reviews and give it a try.
Massage Gun Percussive Therapy
Percussive therapy is another spa night trend that is worth including. Brands of percussive massagers like Theragun have taken the wellness world by storm. These high-tech devices come with a handy handle and ergonomic grip, so you can target all of your sore spots.
Percussive massage guns work by emitting sound waves at a certain frequency that agitates the skin and underlying tissues. This stimulates blood circulation, which in turn helps deliver nutrients to cells below the surface of your skin as well as break up scar tissue and reduce muscle inflammation.
These massagers are specially designed to alleviate muscle pain through deep tissue vibration. Note – you may not be used to that sensation if this is the first time you’ve tried it!
The best part about these percussive massagers is that they’re gentle on the joints and easy to use.
Essential Oils and Diffusers
Essential oils are a great way to make your at-home spa night complete. The history of essential oils is ambiguous, but it is believed that these oils were first extracted by Ancient Egyptian and Chinese practitioners of herbal medicine. Essential oils are diluted in a carrier oil such as jojoba or coconut to create a blend.
There are many benefits to using essential oils as they have the ability to heal a person’s physical ailments in addition to their emotional ones.
The best essential oils for relaxation include lavender, chamomile, and ylang-ylang.
Did you know that essential oils can also help wake you up? For a morning workout boost after your at home spa night, try peppermint, eucalyptus or lemon balm oil.
Note: not all essential oils are the same. Our favorite brands are Saje Wellness, Eden Botanicals, Doterra, Young Living, and Thrive Market.
Which diffuser should you buy?
The diffuser is another important tool for a successful at-home spa night. There are two types of diffusers: ultrasonic and nebulizing.
An ultrasonic diffuser uses high frequency sound waves to break up the essential oils into tiny particles that can be inhaled easily while a nebulizer disperses the oil in mist form with air pressure.
Essential oil tips
- Don’t apply any essential oils to a broken skin surface because it can cause irritation.
- Always dilute your essential oil before applying them topically, with water, coconut oil or other carrier liquids. This is especially important for people who are pregnant and have sensitive skin.
- It’s best not to use the same essential oil on two consecutive days, because they can build up in the skin and lead to a potential sensitization.
- Consult with your doctor or medical professional before using essential oils if you have issues like epilepsy, cancer, severe allergies, high blood pressure, or diabetes.
Epsom Salt Bath or Salt Scrub
An Epsom salts bath involves adding salt to your bath water and soaking for about 20 minutes. The Epsom salts are rich in magnesium which can help with muscle soreness, relaxation, and detoxification!
While we’re on the topic of baths, a salt scrub is perfect for an at-home spa night. Sitting down to scrub your skin is not an easy task when you’ve got a little bit of everything going on underneath the surface – so make it easier by doing a salt scrub.
How to make a spa night salt scrub
- Simply mix together equal parts salt, olive oil and almond milk in a jar or bowl.
- Apply the mixture to your skin with a sponge or loofah for anywhere from five minutes up to twenty, then rinse off!
If you’re not a bath person, you can also take your at-home spa night to the shower. In the shower, use exfoliating gloves. Exfoliating gloves are an easy way to gently scrub away dead skin cells and excess oils.
Simply rub a little soap or shower gel on the gloves, then massage in circular motions over your body. You can buy exfoliating gloves at most drug or beauty stores, and they are also great for use on your arms, legs, and chest. Be extra careful around your delicate facial areas.
Hair Clay Mask
While you’re in the shower, you can also take care of your hair as part of your night of self-care. Here’s an at-home all-natural treatment you will love.
One of the biggest trends in hair right now is a hair clay mask. A hair clay mask is a great way to condition and style your hair with natural ingredients.
How to make a hair clay mask
- Simply mix together one tablespoon of clay, a few drops of essential oil (I recommend lavender or ylang-ylang)
- Add water until it’s at the consistency you like.
- Apply as necessary on any part of your body, it’s fantastic for removing impurities from your scalp and hair follicles.
Benefits of a hair clay mask
- It’s a great way to condition and style your hair with natural ingredients – you’ll feel like you’re at a high end spa!
- It’s easy to use. You can’t mess this up. Just put it on, rinse out, and enjoy the results!
- it’s all-natural! There are so many chemicals in modern beauty today, a hair clay mask is straight from the earth
There are so many ways to treat yourself to an at-home spa night. Find your favorite, combine a few treatments and self-care the night away!