Recipe: Wild Rice Salad With Walnuts And Orange
What good Minnesotan doesn’t love a wild rice salad. Wild rice has a rich nutty flavor and is high in protein, but low in fat. It has become particularly popular as it is gluten free and offers great nutritional properties. Wild rice is in fact a grain and not a rice. This wild rice salad with walnuts and oranges is particularly delicious and light. You have to cook the wild rice but aside from that this recipe is super easy. I make it even easier in this version by purchasing Brianna’s Brand Blush red wine vinaigrette dressing. You can use a homemade recipe or whatever you have. I love this as a side dish for everything from picnics in summer to a holiday side. Serve as an entree as well and add extra protein if you like.
Total Time:80 minutes
Yield: 10 serving(s)
- 3 cups wild rice (or wild rice medley)
- 9 cups water
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 stalks celery diced
- ¼ medium red onion diced
- ½ cups craisins diced
- ½ cup yellow raisins diced
- 1 ½ cups canned mandarin oranges diced
- 1 cup walnuts diced
- ½ bottle of Brianna’s blush red wine vinaigrette (or any red wine vinaigrette)
- Cook 3 cups wild rice in 9 cups water or according to the directions on box or bag with 1 tsp salt.
- Cool wild rice once cooked and make sure all the water is absorbed. Mix the cooled rice with all the other ingredients: diced celery, diced red onion, diced mandarin oranges, diced craisins, diced yellow raisins, walnuts and dressing in a large bowl. Cover and refrigerate with all ingredients combined for 10 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Information Per Serving
Serving Size: 1 cup
355 calories, 9 grams protein, 11 grams fat, 56 carbs, 5 grams fiber
From the kitchen of: Get Healthy U