Recipe: Chipotle Turkey and Sweet Potato Chili
PHOTO CREDIT: TheRealFoodRds.com
This hearty chili recipe swaps in sweet potatoes for the classic beans for a gluten-free, dairy-free and paleo-friendly meal. The chipotle powder adds delicious heat while the sweet potatoes give it sweetness alongside ground turkey and diced tomatoes.
Top with diced avocado, fresh cilantro, lime, sour cream, a sprinkling of cheese or whatever you fancy! And if you’re not paleo and really can’t handle chili without beans, feel free to throw in a can of black or pinto beans; you’ll get an extra fiber boost too!
Tip: make a double batch and freeze for future meals.
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 cup diced onion (about 1/2 large)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 28-ounces canned or jarred diced tomatoes
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and cut into small cubes
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 - 1/2 teaspoon ground chipotle powder (may substitute 1 canned chipotle in adobo sauce)
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
From the kitchen of: The Real Food Dietitians