Recipe: Roasted Delicata Squash
Below is my favorite roasted delicata squash recipe. It is so simple, healthy, and makes a side dish. There are so many different squashes to try. Don’t get stuck on butternut or acorn until you’ve tried delicate squash.
I had not heard of this squash before my neighbors grew them and had a bumper crop last summer. They generously shared their harvest with me and since then, it has become one of my favorite summer and fall side dishes!
You can try sprinkling with spices like cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and pumpkin pie spice for a very fall-flavored dish but my favorite is simple: salt, pepper, and thyme.
How To Prepare Delicata Squash
This is a beige-colored cylindrical vegetable with green and orange stripes. Unlike some other squash, delicata squash does not need to be peeled, the skin is eatable. The roasted skin of the delicata squash is actually my favorite part to eat!
How to prepare delicata squash:
- Cut it lengthwise in half.
- Scoop out the seeds and discard them.
- Then cut slices about 1/2 inch thick so they look like half-moons.
- Rub with olive oil and season to taste. We like to use “warming” spices for this recipe. It’s delicious in the fall or any time of year.
- Pumpkin Pie Spice
Other delicious seasonings to try:
- Curry Powder
- Trader Joes Onion Salt
How To Cook Delicata Squash
1. Oven Roasted
Once you’ve prepared the squash, line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place the delicata squash on the baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil and season with desired spices (see above). Then bake in the oven at 400 degrees for 15 minutes.
Once you’ve prepared your squash, place it in a grill pan or foil packet and drizzle with olive oil, and season with desired spices (see above). Then cook on a 400 – 500 degree grill for about 10 minutes per side.
You could call this dish done and enjoy the simple savory flavors after you pull it off the grill or out of the oven but if you want to add a little something extra, try any combination of these toppings before you serve.
- pine nuts
- toasted pumpkin seeds
- crumbled goat cheese
- pomegranate seeds
- fresh avocado slices
- drizzle with light basil pesto
More Roasted Vegetable Recipes To Try
Total Time: 30 minutes
Yield: 2 serving(s)
- 1 delicata squash
- Olive or coconut oil (if using coconut oil, make sure it's melted in liquid form)
- Salt and pepper
- Pumpkin pie spice
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Wash the squash thoroughly. You do not need to remove the skin; it is edible and delicious!
- Cut off each of the ends and slice down the middle the long way.
- Scoop out seeds and guts with a metal spoon.
- Cut into 1/2 inch half moons.
- Place on a baking sheet and drizzle with olive or coconut oil.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper and additional spices.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and flip each of the pieces over to the other side.
- Bake for an additional 10 minutes.
Nutrition Information Per Serving
Serving Size: 10 pieces
Protein: 1 gram(s)
Fat: 22 gram(s)
Carbohydrates: 6 gram(s)
Fiber: 2 gram(s)
Sugar: 1 gram(s)
Recipe Cuisine: American
From the kitchen of: Team Get Healthy U