Recipe: Kentucky Derby Mint Julep
Once you flip the calendar to May, you know that the Kentucky Derby is just around the corner and you better be ready with your Mint Julep recipe. The Mint Julep is a classic whiskey cocktail that is fragrant and refreshing. It has been around forever but was made popular by Churchill Downs and is now a staple at the Kentucky Derby.
What Goes Into A Classic Mint Julep
The classic mint julep is made with two sugar cubes, muddled fresh mint leaves, two ounces of bourbon, and garnished with mint and fresh lime.
It’s served in a silver cup so it stays cold, (in the same way, you serve a Moscow Mule in a copper mug) and it’s ALWAYS served over crushed ice. It’s not a classic mint julep is it’s not over crushed ice!
How to Make The Kentucky Derby Mint Julep ‘Skinny’
There’s no reason to miss out on this fun and a festive cocktail if you’re watching your waistline or cutting back on sugar. You’ll be Derby-ready in no time with this lightened-up version of the classic Mint Julep made with Munkfruit instead of sugar.
Simply muddle in the bottom of a cup four fresh mint leaves with a tablespoon of Munkfruit sweetener.
Then fill your cup with crushed ice and pour two ounces of bourbon over the top.
Garnish with one more sprig of fresh mint and you’re off to the races.
Other Mint Jeulip Tips
What Else To Serve At your Kentucky Derby Party
Southern faire although tasty is often full of butter, sugar, and a lot of calories. Try these alternatives and still enjoy your party food!
- Instead of fried chicken try this Cashew Crusted Chicken Fingers
- Instead of fried green tomatoes try this BLT Stuffed Cherry Tomatoes
- Instead of cheese grits try this Golden Cauliflower with Sage
- Instead of southern deviled eggs try these Avocado Deviled Eggs
- Instead of bourbon pie try Chocolate Greek Yogurt Pie
Total Time: 2 minutes
Yield: 1 serving(s)
- 2 ounces bourbon
- 2 cups crushed ice
- 1 tablespoon Munkfruit sweetener
- Mint leaves
- Muddle in the bottom of a cup four fresh mint leaves with a tablespoon of Munkfruit sweetener.
- Then fill your cup with crushed ice
- Pour two ounces of bourbon over the top.
- Garnish with one more sprig of fresh mint.
Nutrition Information Per Serving
Serving Size: 1
Sugar: 6 gram(s)
From the kitchen of: Get Healthy U