Recipe: Skinny Chipotle Chicken Burrito Bowl
Inspired by the delicious burrito bowls at Chipotle I decided to create a “skinny” version after discovering a chicken burrito bowl has 855 calories and 34 grams of fat, yup and that’s with the brown rice people!
This lighter Chipotle chicken burrito bowl recipe saves you around 345 calories and 19 grams of fat vs. the restaurant version. This “skinny” bowl is just as delicious, more economical, and you don’t have to wait in line!
Total Time: 45 minutes
- For the Cilantro Lime Rice
- 1 cup brown rice (I use organic)
- Juice from 1/2 of a lime (reserve other half for garnish)
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, washed and minced
- For the Seasoned Chicken
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb boneless chicken breasts
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon Mexican spice blend (yes, you need this)
- For the Veggies
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced lengthwise
- 1/2 green pepper, thinly sliced lengthwise
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup corn (frozen or fresh)
- 1 (4 oz) can diced green chiles
- 1-2 tablespoons blended chipotle chiles in adobo sauce (depending on your spice level)
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- For Topping
- Shredded monterey jack cheese
- Diced tomatoes
- Plain Greek yogurt (or sour cream)
- Jalapeño slices
- Additional cilantro
- Corn/flour tortillas
- Cook 1 cup brown rice according to package instructions.
- Once rice is cooked, add juice of 1/2 lime (reserve other half for serving) and cilantro. Stir so flavors blend.
- Mix pepper, salt, cumin, Mexican spice blend and garlic powder together in a small bow. Coat chicken all over with spices.
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in frying pan and add chicken, then set aside on a plate to cool.
- Keep remaining oil and seasoning in pan adding an additional tablespoon of oil as needed along with the onion and green pepper. Sautè 2 minutes until slightly softened and add garlic, corn, green chiles and chipotle chiles. Cook about 4 minutes on medium heat. Turn heat off.
- Add black beans to veggies and toss together. Cube the fully cooked chicken breast.
- Add 1/2 cup cilantro lime rice to 4 bowls and add veggie filling, then chicken on top. Garnish with monterey jack cheese, jalapeños, Greek yogurt, lime, tomatoes and guac.
- Optional: serve with corn or flour tortillas as tacos or burritos.
Nutrition Information Per Serving
Serving Size: 4
Protein: 39 gram(s)
Fat: 15 gram(s)
Carbohydrates: 51 gram(s)
Fiber: 8 gram(s)
Sugar: 8 gram(s)
From the kitchen of: Get Healthy U